Starting off a New Year usually carries with it the intention of positive change. Many of these changes are related to health and wellness, such as a new gym regimen or a healthier diet. While these are great practices to implement, it’s important not to overlook dental health and what that means for your smile. Here are some tips to help you achieve and maintain a sparkling white smile all year:
1. Look to your Kitchen Cabinet: Whitening your smile doesn’t always have to mean buying the latest teeth whitening kit. Sometimes the product you need is as close as your pantry.
Take coconut oil for example. Using coconut oil as a type of mouthwash helps decrease bacteria in the mouth which also leads to a reduction in yellowing plaque and gingivitis.
Another popular whitening agent is baking soda. You’ve probably even seen toothpaste that contains baking soda, and that’s because its abrasive nature helps break up plaque and its alkaline powder helps halt bacteria growth. You can create an at-home whitening paste just by mixing 1 teaspoon of baking powder with 2 teaspoons of water.
Apple cider vinegar is a household product with many known health benefits. Similar to coconut oil and baking soda, apple cider vinegar also helps to create a clean mouth with it’s antibacterial properties. Due to the acidic nature of the vinegar, it’s very important to remember to dilute the apple cider vinegar with water when using it as a mouthwash. It’s also a good idea to rinse your mouth with fresh water afterwards, and to limit the amount of time the vinegar is in direct contact with your teeth.
2. Pay Attention to What you Eat: If your goal this year was to eat more fruit and veggies, then you’ll be sure to reap the benefits of this next tip! Eating raw vegetables and fruit can help remove plaque from your teeth as you chew. Many have claimed that strawberries in particular can help create a bright smile by exfoliating the teeth.
It’s also important to make sure you’re strengthening the enamel of your teeth by eating calcium-rich foods such as broccoli, milk, and cheese. By keeping your enamel strong, it is less likely to erode and reveal the dentin underneath, which is yellow in color.
While there are certain foods that may brighten and strengthen your smile, there are also products that have the opposite effect.
Try to limit or avoid coffee, red wine, and soda, as these liquids are notorious for creating surface stains on teeth. In addition, tobacco products can cause tooth discoloration and yellowing.
3. Give Hydrogen Peroxide a Try: Like baking soda, hydrogen peroxide is a common ingredient in toothpaste. It is both a natural bleaching agent as well as a disinfectant against bacteria.
If you’re thinking about implementing hydrogen peroxide in your whitening routine, it’s important to make sure you’re using a diluted solution. Try mixing a 3% concentration with an equal amount of water a couple times a week to avoid any side effects like tooth sensitivity or gum irritation.
4. Keep up with Your Dental Hygiene: There’s a reason why we’re always telling you to brush and floss! Not only do these practices maintain overall dental health, but they also help contribute to a whiter smile. Flossing helps to remove bacteria that leads to plaque, and brushing with toothpaste helps to buff out any surface stains.
5. Talk to your Dentist: Staying up to date on your bi-annual teeth cleaning is one of the most important steps in keeping a healthy, bright smile. If you’re concerned with severe tooth discoloration, it’s best to speak with your dentist directly about the best professional teeth whitening service.
Purchasing just any whitening kit at the store may be harmful for your teeth, so we’re happy to help you select the safest option for you. For fast and professional whitening options check out our Teeth Whitening Services Page for more details and to book your appointment.